Tell It Like It Is

Friday 20 March 2009

Dodo Internet and the Mafia - the hidden link

It's 7:47pm, and the phone rings during dinner.

I leap from the table, and run to the office. "Hello can I help you?" is my standard line when answering the phone.

Silence.

Then a very brief flash of music. Aha - it's obviously a telemarketer.

A voice with not-too-thick an accent greets me. "Hello, I am calling from Dodo."

Hmmm - I have worked for Dodo Internet in the past, so maybe it's not a telemarketer after all.

"I am ringing about our services and how we can save you money. First, I have to inform you that this call is being recorded for quality purposes."

Ah - ok, so it IS a telemarketer.

He continues right on with his script :

"Let's start with your mobile phone."

Time for some fun... I love playing with telemarketers. So let's try something new :

"What if I'm a member of the Mafia and I don't want my voice to be recorded?" I enquire.

"I'm sorry?" he asks.

I repeat myself, slightly slower. "What if I'm a member of the Mafia and I don't want my voice to be recorded?"

"Sir, you don't have to be a member to take advantage of our specials" he replies.

It's a lost cause. No point making fun if his English is so bad he doesn't get the jokes. So I hang up.

But it's official : I have it directly from a Dodo Internet representative that you don't need to be a member of the Mafia to join Dodo! What a relief! My Mafia membership was due to expire soon... :o)