Tell It Like It Is

Tuesday 3 July 2007

Hillsong 2007, Tuesday arvo

Hillsong 2007, Tuesday arvo

What an awesome conference this has been so far! And it's only just begun!

I came uncertain and marginally skeptical, but so far I've been blown away.

Gary Skinner was the opening speaker on Monday night, with a stirring presentation on effective community outreach, as demonstrated in the Waitoto community in Uganda. The key to community transformation is simply to start somewhere and let it grow.

John Bevere spoke this morning, with the best and clearest challenge to humility I've heard in years. The Spirit of God was powerfully in the room, convicting people to change their ways and live in humility, and intimacy with Christ through humility.

Brian Houston gave the second morning talk, and I was amazed as he shared his heart to see a new generation of Christian leaders raised up across this nation. His talk was practical and also filled with simple principles we can take home and apply around us as those of us in the new generation seek to learn from the wisdom of those who have gone before, and those who have gone before help to release us into the fullness of what God has prepared for us.

In the Community Transformation elective, Gary Skinner spoke again, and once again, all I can say is WOW!!! This man has a deep understanding of community transformation through the power of Christ. He listed seven primary spheres of influence. The first four we hear all the time - family, church/religion, government, business/work, and to these he added education, arts/entertainment and the media (newspaper etc). It was AWESOME, as was his initial session last night. If you get a chance to hear him, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.

And the other elective I attended - a panel of folk involved in reaching out to the world around them - was stimulating and inspiring too.

Bring earplugs. :-)

OK, here we go - it's 4:30pm and the second night's sessions are starting now. I'll catch you 'round!

(P.S. In case I never get around to blogging it, you might like to ask me a) why I decided to go to this controversial conference; and b) my position specifically regarding Hillsong music.)